City of Refuge

City of Refuge

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Saturday March 1

This is the story of 11 strangers brought together by one common purpose: to serve others, learn about themselves and have fun!  We are working with City of Refuge www.cityofrefugeatl.org from March 1, 2014- March 7, 2014.

Steven, a Junior from Indian Trail NC
Jenna, a Freshman from Chapel Hill NC
Bailey, a Sophomore from Jersey
Mireya, a Junior from L.A.
Hayley, a Freshman from Raleigh NC
Janessa, a Junior from Fayetteville NC
Zeinab, a Senior from Jersey
Thomas, a Junior from Jersey
Katheen, a Freshman from Florida
Elise, a Freshman from Virginia
and Jaime, the UNCW employee from Pennsylvania

And here are our expectations for the week:

*What I expect out of this week is to gain an experience worth more than any all-inclusive retreat in the carribean.  I can't wait to help out in this community and learn from the residents who stay here.  I expect this experience to be truly humbling and leave me with a sense of gratefulness and fulfillment.

*I'm hoping to meet people who help me change my perspectives and motivate me.  I want to hear new stories and hopefully make some awesome memories and friends.

*To be able to gain knowledge from the community and help change my perspective!

*I expect to learn about the homeless community and what their needs are.  I hope to be able to use this information to help enact change in the Wilmington community.

*1) I would like to learn more about the community here.  2) I would like to serve this community this week.  3) Grow closer to this group!

*Learning how to deal with the emotional responses to peoples stories and community environment.  Tools to take back to implement in our own communities and future volunteer experiences.

*To become a better person and try to learn something from the many women and children I come into contact with while having a great time doing it.

*Learn new strategies that can be implemented in the building of the upcoming Wilmington community garden.

*I hope to meet and make new friends.  I hope to make an impact in this community.  I want to be used by God to touch the lives of others.

*To be able to give without regret for lost time or money - selflessness.  To appreciate people's stories of hardships.  Gratefulness. True definition of happiness.

*I hope to learn about Atlanta, good and bad.  And also to learn something new about myself.

*To grow from this experience, and to reach out to others and to let them know that someone is here to listen to their stories.  

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful and compassionate way to share a week. Walking in someone else's shoes makes you step more meaningfully in your own. The best to you all.

    ReplyDelete