City of Refuge

City of Refuge

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

What to do now?

When I first saw the flier for the community service trip to Atlanta, it seemed perfect;I would  meet new people, help others, and learn the spirit of a city I've always wanted to explore. But staying in the homeless shelter with women who have experienced the downs of life not only allowed me to see through the eyes of someone else, but it also opened my eyes to the spiritual journey that I embarking on. 

My brain was tired and stressed when I left Wilmington and although I helped move furniture, raked lives, cleaned part of a warehouse, and things of that nature when I was at the homeless shelter, I have never experienced such internal contentment in passing out breakfast to homeless men, tutoring energetic children and listening to the stories and advice from women who have witnessed that darker side of life. Their disposition was shockingly positive and has helped me in the oddest of ways. Conversing with a woman for close to two hours gave me understanding of how we can be so different, socioeconomically and also in religious beliefs, but manage to meet each other at the same level of love and respect for one another. Engaging with the children showed me how important it is to spend time with children and encourage them with their schooling. These children were a surprising gift to me. They were open to our presence there and just wanted us to be with them. They were the nicest group of kids I have ever met and were extremely perceptive to their living conditions and lifestyle, but still managed to be open to others. 

The week spent at the City of Refuge was life changing and I am so glad that I decided to spend my time with the women and children staying there. But now that I am home, it is easy to become comfortable in my previous way of thinking and living. My solution is to continue going on trips that help others. It will keep me grounded and remind me that giving gifts or spending money does not make me feel good as a person. It is through giving myself and spending time with people who need it that I experience peace and understanding of my own purpose because I am not only helping them, but they are also helping me. Maybe one day I will be a part of or create my own non-profit organization. 

No comments:

Post a Comment